Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Food for thought from University Affairs, written by UG Provost Maureen Mancuso:
". . . the skill sets said to be most in demand are, in order: managerial/supervisory, communications/interpersonal, leadership/executive, and process/project management."
Monday, January 6, 2014
The Graduate Student Learning Initiative (GSLI) is an award-winning group that brings together campus services that provide professional and academic skill development for graduate students. Members include the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and representatives from a range of service units across the campus, as well as the GSA.
Three student members play a key role by providing a student perspective that keeps us in tune with graduate student needs and priorities. The GSLI is currently seeking two new student members with some combination of these characteristics:
- one from the sciences and one from the arts/humanities
- one at the doctoral level
- one who is an International student who speaks English as an additional language.
We prefer students who are able to participate for at least two semesters. Meetings are held about three time each semester, and you need to be available for at least two of these dates in Winter 2014:
January 13 at 9:30am
February 19 at 10am
April 1 at 2:30pm
If you’re interested in services for graduate students, or are thinking about a career in academia and would like some committee experience with a group that’s friendly, informal, and functional, please consider participating. A reply no later than January 10 would be appreciated.
If you have any questions, please contact Maryann Kope, GSLI Chair at email@example.com.
“The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” – Michael Altshuler
Do your New Year’s resolutions include procrastinating less in 2014? Take charge of your time during Time Management Month in January at the Library. Create a time plan, stay on track, and control procrastination:
· Sign up for a free appointment to create a personalized study plan
· Check out the webshop A Guide for Time Management
· Pick up a free calendar, weekly schedule, or task list in the Library
· Read a handout for more tips and advice
· Check out the Spotlight Board on the 1st floor for a list of #GryphTimeHacks.